Thursday 14 February 2013

Breaded Chicken Fingers

Someone asked me today "How do you eat healthy without making separate meals for yourself, your kids and your husband?"  Here's one of my favourites: 

Breaded Chicken Fingers
I love this supper because it's so easy to give the kids breaded chicken with their favourite veg. (or homemade chunky chips for a treat) 



The kids version is healthy enough for us...BUT...to make it a super good mood meal I make a nutrient packed chefs salad. My hubby and I usually end up each with a slightly different combination so it suits us both.  It's pretty filling too.



Ingredients
Breaded Chicken
Salad Leaves
Your favourite salad trimmings (cucumber, red pepper, tomatoes, beetroot etc)
Roasted Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash (recipe for this coming soon)
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds


A word about the breaded chicken
I've looked at the ingredients and think supermarket Breaded Mini Fillets are pretty OK - but only the whole chicken ones.  When I have time I make a batch of Annabel Karmels recipe (and freeze uncooked)http://www.annabelkarmel.com/member-recipes/cheesy-chicken-dippers.  My kids are happy with seedy wholemeal bread so I use that instead of white for the breadcrumbs.


Why is it Good Mood Food?
Low Glycemic Index - The salad contains protein and slow release carbs from the sweet potato.  The addition of the seeds further helps keep energy release from this supper slow.

Chicken - most meats including chicken provide a good helping of the essential amino acid Tryptophan.  It's used by the body to make Seratonin - a brain chemical essential for good mood and brain function.

Seeds - great for essential minerals such as zinc, iron, magnesium, manganese and contain some protein too.






No comments:

Post a Comment