Sunday 24 February 2013

Breakfast - start the day right and the rest will follow

Since January I've been eating a slow release energy boosting breakfast each day...it's made eating healthy the rest of the day easy...


Before: I used to eat a normal breakfast usually highly processed and/or sweetened.
Most cereals, breads (wholemeal included) and sweetened muesli fall into this category even the ones marketed as healthy.  As a result I rode the emotional roller coaster of sugar highs and lows all day.  It made eating healthy and happy near impossible.


Does this sound familiar?:
Mid morning:  " I'm hungry and craving biscuits and coffee" I resist - new healthy me.  
Lunchtime: "Oh dear I'm starving and these kids are really annoying me"  
I grab my my healthy lunch: "Oh still hungry, I've been good all morning I can have a sweet treat"
After Lunch:  "Why do I feel so sleepy? I could curl up in the cot while my little one naps couldn't I?" 
Mid Afternoon:  Grab a snack for the kids "It won't hurt if I have just one choccie biccie...oh dear I had three....mmmm tastes gooood".  "Oh I'm still snapping at the kids".  
Tea time:  "..Oh what the heck - all my healthy eating plans went out the window earlier, I'll  cook a few extra chips to keep me going till supper"  
.....you get the picture.

After:  Eat a Low GI Breakfast
-  Jumbo Oat Porridge and fresh fruit sweetened with honey
-  Poached Eggs on wholemeal seedy bread with grilled tomatoes
-  Whole grain unsweetened muesli with natural yoghurt and fresh fruit
-  Kippers on wholemeal seedy bread
-  Scrambled eggs on wholemeal seedy bread

  
I no longer get a sugar low mid morning so can last until lunch without feeling stressed and starving.
I no longer need to supplement my healthy lunch with treats as I'm not so hungry.
I no longer get a sugar low mid afternoon because my lunch is still keeping me going.
Tea time is still a danger point but I stay on track by grabbing a slow energy release snack like my flapjacks - see previous entry - or handful of nuts and cranberries.

Yippee I made it to supper time!   (ok so the kids still got me stressed a bit).




No comments:

Post a Comment